Before we begin, let me say under no circumstances do I stand upon my high horse and say I do not do the following items in the list. I do. I apologize to my Mom and my Mom-In-Law for slipping and sliding down the slippery slope.
But here is my list for my kids (and nieces/nephews/kids who call me Mom) to make this MOM REALLY Happy on Mother’s Day and beyond:
1) Quit Swearing. Profanity is a bad habit. It’s bad enough when you say swear words out loud but when you intentionally use them in writing, go wash your mouth AND hands. Better yet take a shower.
2) Use table manners. It is NOT ok to belch at dinner. Ever. Laughing after is not OK either. It’s gross. (Note I didn’t say belch, period – I said at dinner – I’m not that naive.)
3) Spell Check. You have had an awesome education (or are in the process of completing one) Please check your spelling when posting, writing, texting, applying for jobs..etc., etc.,
4) ANSWER A TEXT. Your parents know you are answering texts to those you love or are stalking. Please answer your text to your parents immediately. This is a non negotiable. If your parents don’t have texts – and they call you, CALL THEM BACK. It’s simple.
5) Leave the room you we’re just in a little better than when you came in. If you find trash, empty glasses, etc., pick it up and throw it all away. Don’t make it worse by thinking “It’s already dirty .. I’ll leave it for XXX to handle.” XXX is often MOM and MOM will revert to #1 which is a habit we are trying to break.
6) Don’t go a day without communicating. It may be a “HI” in a text, (remember answer texts) or a hug as you out the door; a phone call or a “like” on Facebook if you still “do” facebook. Just touch base every day.
7) Be Honest. No matter what.
8) Read. Every day read something new. (Not the back of a cereal box) Read something from the internet, or (GASP A NOVEL) and share your newfound wisdom. Don’t EVER stop learning.
9) Learn to love naps.
10) Play Games and LOL every day. EVERY DAY. Not once a week or “I’ll get to it” – play a game every single day with someone you love. Your will then Laugh – and laughter makes the world go round.
Happy Mother’s Day To ME! I have learned from the BEST. Game Night starts at 8 PM EST, gather round!